I continue to be burdened regarding the need for corporate prayer, but have had difficulty finding people who are interested in praying for more than personal prayer needs and for the sick. I truly don’t sense a burden for the condition of the Church from most Christians I am around, and the few that do are bogged down with things that take their time and attention (sometimes that describes me, too).
Several themes from John Franklin’s talks last November have influenced my praying this year. The first is the pattern throughout the Old Testament of God’s people committing spiritual adultery—of going through the motions of worshipping God, but wanting to be just like the world. God brings cycles of judgment for the purpose of turning his people back to him. If the judgment has no lasting effect, then the judgment will increase.
Being reminded of this, I have prayed not only for revival in the Church, but for brokenness, humility, repentance, and for an awareness of God’s holiness among Christians. I have started writing down quotes and Scripture passages on brokenness and humility.
The other theme that impacted me is how God acts both in judgment and in restoration for the sake of his Name. Those Scripture passages have leaped out at me this year. Now my petitions to God often include a desire that he be glorified and his Name be honored. I ask the Lord to act for the sake of his Name.
I have spent much time this past year in Isaiah and in the major prophets who lived in the time preceding and during the Babylonian Exile (Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel). It’s surprising how relevant they are to our time. I am watching and praying as our nation’s economic crisis and political process unfolds. God will use them for his purposes and for his glory. Let’s be ready to help both believers and unbelievers recognize their need to depend upon Christ.
A few days ago, I read through Psalm 79 and 80. They remind us of our spiritual neediness and of our need for revival and restoration. “Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake.” (Ps. 79:9)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment